Friday 6 November 2009

Mr and Misses

My lovely friend Lacey asked me the other day if I fancied collaborating with her on a Mr Men and Little Miss photo shoot. My reply was yes. Me and Lacey went to university together, though on separate courses, she is an amazing photographer, and I of course did fashion. We've worked together several times before and it was always enjoyable and successful. Check the link above and see how fan-dappie-doobie she is! 
So first thing to do was research what characters to choose. We decided to have 10 looks, five male and five female. So below are a selection of Mr Men and Little Misses characters which I'd like to style.





MR MEN

1 Mr Bump
This character is an old favourite of mine. I imagine this character to be really fun to style and shoot. I envisage a young male model, innocent boy like features, all bandaged and bruised with a sullen look.



Using props like here to create an injured scene.
I like the idea of a sling using a funky scarf.




2 Mr Clever


Mr Clever was originally Lacey's choice, I had firstly opted towards Mr Uppity. Both are smart, upper class, and I can imagine them to be dandy attired. After consideration I decided that Mr Clever would be a better choice as he can also be paired with Little Miss Brainy.   




Preppy smart look and accesseries.
I'm quite feeling those granddad knits.
Maybe opt towards a dandy style?





3 Mr Greedy
This will be a hilarious character to shoot, well that's if we get the right model who is up for having fun and getting messy! I envisage the location to be a cafe and the model to have an expressionate face and not mind posing whilst eating some food as some gals take his picture and faff with his hair.
I like the set up and the colourful room in this image. Need to think of more modern funky clothes.
Fun and messy.


4 Mr Messy


A great character in the Mr Men tales, a bunch of scribbles, but how to translate this into fashion styling? Well messy hair is a start. The grunge look would be very appropriate, casual kooky clothing and maybe a little facial hair. 

This man is perfect for Mr Messy. Even the clothes are ideal.
I like this image and maybe use similar but grungey styling.
This could be fun to re-enact, a splattering of paint and make up. Something to consider.








5 Mr Perfect
Mr Perfect is again one of Lacey's choices. The thought didn't cross my mind to choose him but after consideration he could be good to shoot. A sexy chiselled pin up model, shot tastefully well perfect. 










Poster pin up.
Chiselled features, stereotypical model image 








6 Mr Strong
When researching how we could portray Mr Strong loads of tacky muscly men in oil kept popping up, but it wasn't what I wanted. Then the image below sprung up and I thought it was great. A vintage feel circus strong man, attired in stripes and tatts. 

I adore these dolls. They are great inspiration for Mr Strong's styling.
The dolls spurred me to think of Jean Paul Gaultier's male models in his aftershave adverts. Maybe find a tattooed model with muscles?






7 Mr Topsy-Turvy
I am really excited about this character. I feel he's going to be really fun to do. Upside down and inside out and back to front. He reminded me of Alice in Wonderland, so for inspiration on styling I am thinking of the Mad Hatter. Not to base him of the character but just influence with crazy clothes and patterns worn in a kooky way. Definitely need a kooky funky male for this mister. 








Crazy tights?


Vivienne Westwood's take on the Mad Hatter.


Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter in Tim Burton's spin on the classic tale.




LITTLE MISSES


1 Little Miss Brainy
A perfect coupling for Mr Clever we could pair the two characters together for the shoot. Oxford geeky preppy chic for styling. Nerdy glasses, hair tied up pretty prim clothing.














Geeky glasses.

I'm thinking hair like this, and I like the geek chic vintage vibe clothes.

Nose in a book.


2 Little Miss Magic
Another one of Lacey's choices that I think may be great to shoot. Although the Little Miss version looks a little dowdy I'm feeling big hair, either colourful make up to portray her fun essence or black makeup to create a mysterious moody element.



This shoot is gorgeous, I like the star over the eye.
 
I like the styling here, the voluminous dress, messy hair, star head piece are all elements we can use.

More playful makeup though with black clothing still creates a mysterious vibe.





3 Little Miss Naughty


Who doesn't know or like Little Miss Naughty? She was a must. Fun, playful, colourful and cheeky. Eccentric make up to match her personality.  Poses to be sharp, and dramatic to capture the fun of her being naughty.












I adore this image.
Bright, colourful make up and clothing.







4 Little Miss Scatterbrain
The female Topsy-Turvy I'm thinking. Another fun and playful shoot. Tea pots for hats, silly poses and expressions. These images from SO-EN magazine are great for capturing the playfulness of Miss Scatterbrain.


















5 Little Miss Splendid
I want a glamourous feeling for this character. Elegant make up and clothing with the hair tied up. I'm thinking Hollywood movie star essence to Miss Splendid's chararcter.





















Simple elegant hair and make up, pretty model.
Atmospheric and vintage feeling to create timeless appearance.
Maybe shoot in black and white, create a movie star vibe.
Pearls are definitely a must. 






6 Little Miss Sunshine
A happy ethereal character we can create with Little Miss Sunshine. The hippy style is quite popular now with artists like Florence and the Machine promoting it.  







Ethereal elements with flowers worn in the hair.

Plaited hair.

Girly feminine make up. 




7 Little Miss Tiny
This was my first book of the Mr Men and Little Misses series I had when a wee girl, so I guess that's why I am so fond of her. I envisage a petite model in a large over sized prom dress to create the image of her being smaller. Also I was thinking of portraying her as a doll. Something to look into.













Alice in Wonderland was inspirational when she became tiny after drinking the potion.

John Galliano's cut out and colour in card dresses transform the model into dolls and toys.

Recreating a toy doll sequence.





8 Little Miss Twins

The twins could be great to shoot, though we'll have to find twin girls to model, which may cause some problems in finding. The twins need to be a little mischievous, be sweet and sassy. 
Wigs could be a possibility?


Sexy and sassy like these flapper twins.


I like the urban feel of this fashion shoot from Sam magazine.